More than 1800, mainly military artefacts attest to a fierce battle between the Romans and the Germans in the 3rd century AD. The Harzhorn battlefield lies at the edge of a hill range running from the Harz mountains.
The new pavilion is conceived as two angular forms – one clad in rustic oak, the other golden copper alloy shingles – emerging from the ground like two warring forces confronting each other. A narrow path forces its way between the two, echoing an ancient trade route pass cutting through the adjacent hills. The pavilion will house an exhibition and is the starting point for tours. The golden copper alloy also identifies information displays at key points around the battlefield site.