The D H Lawrence Pavilion designed by architects Marsh Grochowski replaces a 1928 building damaged by fire and houses the D H Lawrence archive, as well as a theatre and other related facilities accessible to the public.
Different elements of the building are expressed externally with a wide range of architectural forms for which copper is an ideal covering. The distinctive, inverted boat shaped auditorium superstructure is completely clad in copper with shallow curved roofs and vertical surfaces rising from a black granite plinth to a 'keel' which acts as a structural duct.
Lower, flat roofs in copper cover the open colonnade, curved red cedar clad kiosk, drum shaped exhibition area and other elements.
This critically acclaimed building is acknowledged for the careful design and execution of its detailing, particularly the copper-work.
Despite a long architectural history, it is no surprise that copper today is regarded by designers as a thoroughly modern architectural material. Offering negligible maintenance and particularly long life, copper has impeccable environmental credentials with low embodied energy, a long tradition of recycling and non-toxic characteristics.
Copper is used in thin sheets which are easily formed to suit virtually any three dimensional shape. Well established jointing and forming techniques make it a suitable weatherproof covering for virtually any external surface including roofs of all pitches, vertical cladding, gutters, soffits and even sculptural elements. Copper is one of the few materials which can offer the designer complete material continuity and real freedom of form.