The protected buildings have now been restored to their former glory and historic features reinstated, including copper terpsichorean figures, or ‘dancing ladies’, surmounting rebuilt cupolas crowning the towers. Contrasting contemporary additions at either end of the building are characterised by pre-patinated copper perforated panels, matching the dancing ladies’ materiality while adding transparency.
Renovation of the ‘Spanish City’ is at the heart of a regeneration plan for the coastal town of Whitley Bay in north east England. This collection of Edwardian seaside pleasure buildings built in 1910 fell into disrepair during the 1970s. Although closed since the 1990s, they remained symbolic of the town’s civic history.