The area was in a state of decay and was an awkward presence in the Torrione district, especially because of structures and objects that considerably reduced the widths of the roadways and sidewalks of the three streets surrounding the lot: via Simeonzio, via Dono and via Posidonia.
With the total demolition of the existing buildings continuity has been introduced to via Simeonzio, the same public parking spaces, the redesigned wide sidewalks, via Dono, and a newly created sidewalk in alignment with those of the adjacent via Posidonia.
Work was carried out on three levels: an underground garage for residents and businesses and a new building above ground, located in a central position, consisting of commercial activities at ground level, with the creation of pathways and a covered gallery for public use, and offices on the first floor.
The design process took account of the feel and massing of neighbouring buildings, materials and the location, creating new public spaces. The materials use for the new building are copper and natural crystals for the external surfaces of the pillars and beams made of corten steel. The natural oxidation of the copper will allow the appearance of the building to change subtly over time, blending the new building with the surrounding environment.
• Size of plot: 2,628m2
• existing floor area: 1,127m2
• Surface area of overlap of the project: 1,461m2 (within the limits of 30% increase)
• Maximum height of existing: 9.90m
• Maximum height of draft: 7,60m
• Surface to be sold for road widening: 221m2
• Surface to be sold for standards: 373m2 (level car park and picnic area on Via Simeonzio)
• pedestrian area private to public use: 1,040
Quantitative data for unit:
• Parking spaces for residents: 85
• Parking spaces for offices. 27
• Spaces at ground level: 9 + 1 H
• Businesses: 5
• Units intended for office: 8