During the refurbishment work the building façade was renovated and painted in a colour determined by detailed historical analysis. The north dome was reinforced and its original decoration restored. The domes were clad with classic copper. The building was equipped with modern equipment and windows were replaced. The interior is painted a clean white.
The most admired part of the Pavilion is its internal courtyard – it was provided with a glass roof sitting on a huge steel structure, in order to expand the museum's exhibition space. As a result the National Museum gained 6,246 square metres of additional space.
The Four Domes Pavilion was designed by Hans Poelzig. The building construction lasted from 1912-1913. Since the beginning it has been used for exhibition purposes – in 1913 it hosted a historical exhibition commemorating the 100th anniversary of the victory over Napoleon. In 2006 the Pavilion and the Centennial Hall was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.