The copper-clad hotel building had to overcome some technical issues relating to site conditions, in particular the existing subway station. The presence of the subway station introduced many structural constraints on the design of the hotel. Luckily, the engineers for the subway project – MSC – had anticipated the possibility of future building development and had designed their structure to support further building work. In designing the hotel, the architect - Isabella Franco - collaborated with the same engineering firm to realise the final design.
Another design issue was how to incorporate the hotel on a corner site with two neighbouring mixed use buildings of 7 and 9 floors. The solution was to embed the subway mezzanine and an elevator (on the side of one of the adjacent buildings) into the hotel structure. The architectural element that characterises the project is the curved façade, allowing the building to sit comfortably in its urban context whilst providing a visual distinction from its neighbours.
The base of the project is continuously glazed and the aluminium windows frames are painted cream/white, thermally insulated with a hidden shutter and glazed with extra light shatter-proof glass. The façade material is pre-oxidised copper, chosen for its dark brown colour and durability. Similarly, other elements of the building, the canopy and roof, are clad in pre-oxidised copper. The façade away from the street faces into a large open courtyard.
Inside, the furnishings were specified by the hotel group’s design team. The distribution of space within the hotel is functional:
- Ground floor: entrance hall, including a striking block of elevators and the lobby lounge with bar
- First floor: dinner and conference facilities
- From the second to seventh floor: guest rooms
- Eighth floor: additional rooms
- Ninth floor: sauna, spa, turkish bath, two suites. This floor is set back from the main facade and faces north-east, towards the mountains. Also on the ninth floor are the air handling units, the boiler and chiller units.
- Underground: garage, partly for private use, for a total of 150 parking spaces.